Saturday, August 28, 2010

Maybe Another Time, Post-Meridian, When you got no place to go...

There are two things that I had a problem with while writing this story. Coming up with a title, and deciding on the name of the main character. Maybe Another Time is just as much a place holder as Post-Meridian and When you got no place to go... were. It's odd because I usually have no problem titling my stories. All I can think of is that this is a more realistic story than I usually write so an obvious title doesn't jump out at me like it usually would.

Naming the main character was/is even more difficult. I can't put my finger on why, but no name really seems to work. Darren is my fifth or so choice after Kelly (original, I know), Steve, Alden, and David. I'm willing to concede that the character is a lot like me, and that's why I can't choose a name that I feel "fits."

As for the story, I wrote it for my Creative Writing class earlier this year. The criteria called for a story broken into three parts, and the people in my group were having a hard time figuring out how to do that. So being the helpful person I am, I gave a very brief example of a brother picking his sister up from the airport. Obviously I expanded on the idea as I was talking to them and turned it into the story below.

I'm proud of what I wrote, though as I was reading it over to put it on here I changed a few things. I feel there's still more I can do with it, so this should be considered the most current iteration. Well, I hope people like it.

No comments: