Friday, January 29, 2010

Drifting, falling, floating, weightless... Intro

This is the second story I wrote for my Creative Writing class, but it came from an idea for a story I've had for a while. The original story is called '30', and it's about a guy living in a society where people don't celebrate birthdays by single years, but instead every 10 years. So he's 20 turning 30 and reflecting on what he's done and what he has to do now.

As I was writing it however, I realized that a premise like that required more than a few pages to really flesh out. I decided to keep the turning 30 aspect, and made a simple love story instead. Since the birthday would no longer be the focus of the story, I changed the title to 'Drifting, falling, floating, weightless...' which is taken from the chorus of the song 'Major Tom (Coming Home)' by Peter Schilling. I personally got it from the cover by Shiny Toy Guns, which I was listening to over and over as I wrote it. The title also follows the progress of the story, which was a nice little bonus as it was changed after I finished the story.

So, enjoy Drifting, falling, floating, weightless

No comments: