Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New Poem - The Cowgirl

I've written song lyrics for years now, and I have hundreds of them; complete, unfinished, titled, untitled, nothing but a title and ideas that never managed to form. As far as actual poetry goes though, I don't have much. We've started the poetry section in Creative Writing, and this is my first one. I just wrote it tonight, but the general idea has been kicking around in my head for a while. As usual, comments are desperately wanted and very much appreciated. Not just on this entry either.

I still have my other two stories from class to put on here. One is a serious piece that my professor labeled as an 'Excellent story', and the other is about a rogue cop named Dammit McClanaghan. I'm sure you can accurately guess what genre that one belongs in. So, I present to you, dear reader,

The Cowgirl

I haven’t read you
Your accounts and travels
How you saw the changes
Tectonic shifts in their infancy
The world on the road to brutal discovery
And the cowgirl
Uncomfortable, wrapped too tightly
A square among squares
Yet unable to fit into the same hole
A sight more common today
But you probably knew that

Not all cowgirls are girls
They’re fakes
Wearing the same restricting uniform
Donning the same brand of conformity
The kind everybody wears, but few know
The four brothers
The digital fruit
The apparent apparel line’s labels, screaming single file
Hardcore
If that’s what you’re living for
But you’re too cool to ignore

I haven’t read you, your scroll
I don’t know if she’s there
The fake fitting in
The girl that’s a square
She exists, they all do
Am I different because I know this?
Am I too self aware?

I remember where I heard it
I was in high school
In my English teacher’s classroom
I know that I overheard it
I was just an observer
Just like you, Jack
But people listen to you

No comments: