Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Life Expectancy of a Dish Washer - Intro

Back in January when I was reminded of LitFest in May, I knew that I wanted to submit a non-fiction entry along with my fiction and poetry. Almost instinctively I knew that it would be about my time as a dish washer. When I told my friends and family about it, they agreed that I had plenty of material to make a compelling piece of literature. When I told my former literature professor she was excited to finally get a chance to read about it, given how much detail I would go into when we talked in her office.

The title for the entry came just as quickly, and it's the only thing that stayed a constant from inception to completion. Sure, I posted a few excerpts from it, but they were bits I came up with while back in my dishpit. I wasn't sure where I'd make them fit, because I hadn't even started writing it yet. As I was writing it, spots opened where they fit naturally, as if I had already written it all subconsciously and was simply putting it on the screen.

As for the story itself, I can assure all of you that none of it is generalized, fictitious or overblown: it is all true. If my words and assurances aren't enough, I have pictures that I'd be more than happy to show that would substantiate them. So, without further ado...

No comments: