Monday, April 25, 2011

The Magician - Conclusion

____Alexandra Gale was trembling terribly, her hand grasping desperately at her collar as if some noose was around it. She couldn’t stand to see such a wonderful person as Benjamin Locke be treated in such a way, especially after what he had given to the town. As the townsfolk turned to her, she could feel the burn of their eyes upon her being. She did not like attention, even in small doses, but as she looked around at her fellow people the burn of their gaze turned to brazen embers within her.

____“All that Mister Locke wanted to do was give us a good show, and he did that. Didn’t he?” Heads scattered through the crowd began to nod, and a meek “That he did” cropped up as well. Alex felt the embers breathe, as wisps of flame danced inside her. “And what he’s saying is true, he can’t just blab his secrets to us. That would ruin the show. How impressed would we all still be if we discovered how unimpressive it actually was?”
____“Pretty damn unimpressed, that’s how much!” The cry came from somewhere in the audience, but Alex didn’t look to see as she was so excited to be making a stand, the fire within her raging now. More people were coming to her side, aiding her with ecstatic cries and words of encouragement
____“So I say we should be happy with what we did get, and hope that if Mister Locke does come back next year that he’ll have even more amazing magic tricks for us!” The crowd cheered at her words, and began chanting “more magic, more magic.” Alex was no longer grasping at her collar and she felt a great pride in what she had just done.

____Mayor Worsley’s face faded from purple to a light puce during Alex’s speech, and he had let go of Locke completely. When the chanting wouldn’t stop however, the color began to intensify again. He strode to the front of the stage and screamed.

____“Never! I refuse to let this, this sharlaton within city limits again. Now you stop that damn hollerin’a’yers and get back home! And you,” Worsley raised a meaty finger and pointed it in Locke’s face. “You get yer damned act out of my town, y’hear. You are never to return as long as I’m mayor of this place.”
____“Yeah, however long that is!” Worsley spun towards the slowly dispersing crowd, desperate to match a face to the voice. “I know that’s you, Sawyer! I heard you make that ‘unimpressed’ comment earlier too!” Before he could return his attention to Locke, the magician had already vanished from the stage along with his props. Eloise really was a pro at the magic game, coy personality or not.

____Alex was walking with her father, who, despite being on friendly terms with Worsley, was immensely proud of his daughter. “See, Alex? I told you before that you have the ability to stand up for yourself. All you need is to do it.”
____“I know Dad, you’re right. It felt so great to do it too. And I can’t wait ‘til I get to see-“
She gasped, excited to see Locke next to his truck a dozen or so yards away. “I’ll be right back Dad.” She ran off at a clip as her dad stood and watched, happy to see his daughter growing up.
____“Mr. Locke! Hi!” A little startled, Locke turned around, looked down and was relieved.
____“Hi there, little girl. You’re the one who stood up for me.”
____“That I am. I’m really happy that I came to see your show tonight. It was incredible!”
____“Thank you. That really means a lot to me, considering what happened. What’s your name?”
____“Oh, um… my name is, uh, Alex!” She giggled, and composed herself “Sorry, I still get a little nervous when I talk to new people.”
____“You? Nervous? I can’t say I believe that, what with all that in there. You really saved me in there Alex. I owe you.”
____“Well, you could come back next year, maybe? That would be payback plenty for me.”
____“Payback plenty eh?” Locke smiled, but let out a long sigh. “I’m sorry Alex, but I don’t think I’ll be coming back here any time soon. At least not with Worsley still around.”
____“What?! But you heard Mr. Sawyer and them right? Worsley won’t be mayor for long, and you’ll be able to come back!”
____“He might not be mayor, but I can guarantee he’ll still be around. Someone like that doesn’t just go away. He’d make it rather difficult for me to return, I’m sure.” He saw the expectant look on Alex’s face fade, which made his heart sink. “But I’ll tell you this, as powerful as Worsley might think he is, he can’t keep me out of other towns in the county. And if you’ll promise to be there, I can set up a show nearby. Deal?”
____“Of course you’ve got a deal!” Joy filled Alex’s face as she smiled widely, and coyly put a up a hand to cover it.
____“Hey now, keep that up and Eloise might end up losing her job.” Suddenly the horn honked, startling both Ben and Alex, as Eloise poked her head out of the driver’s side window.
____“Benjamin darling, I’ve got the truck running. Hop in now.”
____“Well, you heard her Alex. I can’t leave my beautiful Eloise waiting. You go back to your dad and I’ll see you again soon enough.” Ben trotted around the front of the truck and hopped into the passenger side. Eloise blew a kiss to Alex, and drove away.
____Alex was sorry to see such interesting people go, but she took comfort in the fact that she would see them again someday. Running back to her dad she waved her hand as if she held a wand, curious if she could do magic like Locke some day.

No comments: